Saturday 29 January 2011

10 O'Clock Live

I was really looking forward to 10 O'Clock Live, Channel 4's new comedy / satire / news show on Thursday nights. However, 10 minutes into the first episode I couldn't stomach any more of Jimmy Carr's rent-a-gag schtick (or moon face) and switched off.

But I've given it another chance, and I'm really glad I did. Thanks to the Internets if you watch it on 4OD you can skip forward all of the Jimmy Carr and Lauren Laverne and just enjoy the genuinely brilliant David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker.

There is a broad consensus that with 10 O'Clock Live Channel 4 were aiming for a British version of The Daily Show after mercilessly cutting that show from weekday evenings on More4. They've almost done it: Charlie Brooker's monologues are as cutting and funny as Jon Stewart's and David Mitchell's observations and interviews are as good as any Daily Show correspondent. Cut the show down to these two, and try to make the audience and studio look slightly less like "The Word" and Channel 4 might be right on the money.

So for now I'll carry on enjoying the genuinely brilliant bits thanks to 4OD's fast forward button.

No comments:

Post a Comment